We build new worlds
Had some time over on my vacation to do some real gaming so I packed up the Oculus rift and got going.
First thing is that it is not easy to get games to work. There are a lot of older games that are very well done and easy make the update times for the Oculus. You can also buy new ones made for the Oculus on Steam.
Older games needs a lot of extra stuff and it is not easy to get them going. Different graphic drivers do not work with all software. Everything is alpha some things beta and every edition do not work with everything else. For me it takes a day of reading and googeling and testing to get a game to work. And I have been working in the computer business a long time.
Software to look for is VorpX, Opentrack and Flyinside for FSX.
This said. When you finally get things to work it is beyond amazing. When I did my first liftoff from the runway in Flight simulator X I screamed with joy. The feeling of flying a real plane was overwhelming.
Some of my other fav games is Test drive unlimited 2 (difficult to get working) and Euro Truck Simulator 2 (Super simple to get working. Built in support on Steam), The feeling of being there. Driving around or competing like I have done in GRID (Very difficult to get working). I just do not get how race drivers do it the amount of concentration is staggering.
I have been trying to fly on the moon in Lunar flight. A game made for the Oculus. On Steam. I am great at crashing in to things.
I have done Wow, Portal, Half life 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. These games are easy to get going with VorpX but the scale of thing in the games are totally off. You are in a land of giants and it feels wrong. One way of playing these games are in VorpX cinema mode. That works better. You sit in a home cinema with a giant screen in front of you for some reason that helps. Still got the 3D.
When you get over the initial movement sickness of virtual reality it is so good and you will never want to be without it again. I cant wait until the headsets come out and there will be more games developed for VR.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Free tool for your 3D needs.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- The artlab early spring
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- Opensim conference:Looking good.
- Clubs in SL
- 2worlds2go in Second life starts to come together.
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- Now we make everything in Virtual worlds Oculus rift compatible.
- Visiting the Lost world on the Hypergrid
- The Mobius grid
- Star trekking on Tangle grid.
- Arduino projects
- A fast hypergrid trip to Francogrid.
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Opensim conference: Impressions
- Opensim conference:What to wear.
- Why I want to make the world a better place.
- Another cool feature in Singularity.
- Caledon to get inspiration for new work.
- Opensim conference 2013 exhibit starts to look nice.
- Opensim conference 2013. 3D sketching.
- Time for snowy woods in Lendonia.
- Super cheap 3D for Second life. Wigglegrams
- A city,a city,a city
- Time for Love
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Why I stopped using Second life.
- Back to There World. A fun,fun,,day.
- Still people that write new useful apps for Second life.
- Black forest. Issues with concentration.
- What about that a new Xbox One.
- Lendonia. Mushroom forest.
- No need for a new hype in virtual worlds.
- More immersive virtual life without the Oculus Rift
- Going by train in Caledon.
- A new server for the Developer grid and expanding virtual life.
- The future of virtual communities.
- Building a virtual world.
- Time for another virtual year 2014.
- Some days it is nice to just sit in Second life.
- Do the trucking thing.
- Exploring route 12 in my truck or when Second life works.
- Driving in Second life or scrap the physics engine.
- Exploring There world
- The Cloud party build
- Moving or leaving. That’s the question?
- My fav art place in SL closing down. Avalon town.
- Aurora sim. Big areas to fly around in.
- Second life in my phone.
- At Burn 2. Another thing about Second life I like.
- Being a hypergrid explorer.
- Transfer from Second life to Cloud party.
- i am leaving Google
- Hypergrid soon to have the best builds.
- On vacation in RL.
- The new hypergrid at 2worlds2go. Some help for the grid admin.
- Getting to the bottom of Second life. This world will live on.
- High Fidelity is like the space program. Not for everybody but there could be spinoff effects.
- And so we recreate our self.
- Memory lane. Some of my builds still standing in SL.
- The Oculus, the brain and rides in Second life.
- Freedom of speech
- The new exhibition at Nilsart gallery. Tomais Ashdene.
- 2014 the year virtual reality changed forever.
- So what to learn from Opensim conference.
- First day at Opensim Conference
- New Oculus Rift project viewer for Second life. It rocks.
- Spending time in the Oculus Rift world. Many things tested.
- In to the void. Two days with the Oculus Rift.
- OSg7b, Talented builders, outdated graphics.
- Using Wordpress now and the blog lives on.
- Friday party at the OSGrid
- Ok my page is now using my SL name but the link does not.
- Without words.
- Opensim conference 2015
- The world turns even if I do not blog
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- All over Second Life. No one there.
- Whats happening.
- Checking out the Great Canadian grid.
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Finally a new home in Second life.
- Hypergrid jump to Torino Italy.
- Hypergrid jumping to Sparkle
- Got my piece ready for OSG9B
- Modern graphics ETS2
- VR is all in flux
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Avatarfest build. The Lions.
- Haul to Linkoping
- I just love the graphics in this game.
- New Update for Tower
- Burn 2016. Looks smaller somehow.
- Bought a new cool outfit to visit London
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Shopping at the hypergrid
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight