We build new worlds
That takes me to my favorite topic Second life. The money people came in to make it profitable and the succeeded but then it all came to a halt. No more growth. No more people are using Second life today than last year. This supposed to be the new 3D Internet.
The new creation of a Second life sprawl really shows how development stopped. I think its like the Apple - Steve Jobs story. You have to have people with ideas and vision working together with production and money people. Maybe its time to try to get Philip Rosedale back.
There are many problems with Second life and Linden Labs.
As a developer i find the question about content and who really owns it really important. And also who owns my account. Linden lab can throw me out of Second life at any time, for any reason. I have no rights. It very difficult for me a small developer and a citizen of Sweden to go through US court system to get my right in a content or account case. And i do not think international law will change very fast.
I do not think that the big developers will risk there content in the hands of Linden lab. Thats why we do not see any of them in Second life.
Or the very stupid strategy to take over Onrez and Xstreet. Yes it is fine for the money people at Linden lab but it sends the wrong message to the community. If you do something good we will take you over or push you out.
I thought it was the users who create and think out new business plans and Linden lab supply the technology.
The solution is software. On my island on the OSGrid i own all of the content and the server is located in my server room right here in Sweden. Its a Opensim installation. I believe Opensim and its clones are the 3D Internet of the future. But it needs support of a big company like Google or even Microsoft. The developers are doing a great job but its a difficult to do all the work needed.
What we need are a few things. As in real life supported by many laws:
My avatar is mine on my hard drive. The things i buy for it are also mine. Is copyrighted maybe encrypted to protect the creator but its mine and i can use it at any grid i want. I own my avatar.
If i create something it is mine and i have the right to sell it or give it away or whatever i want to.
Its on my hard drive and backup. And i can use it on any grid. Its like a web page. I create a web page and test it on my own servers and when its ready i upload it on the net. But the content, pictures and text are still copyrighted, its still mine if i do not sell it.
There will always be content theft and there will be new ways to counter it. I think many young people today think that everything on the net should be free. Probably because their parents pay the bills so the do not understand the need for earning money. But as we all know they will get there too.
Information wants to be free, but i have to eat.
If it is going to be Opensim ,Second life or maybe some new solution we have not seen yet? I do not really care. I have found a great way for me as a artist to make some extra money. I love to paint but it is extremely difficult to survive on it. So i do content, Its fun and a great job. But my customers must feel that they are doing a good deal when they buy my stuff. That they own it and can use it in the way its intended.
I think Linden lab thought they could corner the virtual world and be the only supplier world wide. With the explosion in virtual worlds, that time have past. Second life is still the far best world of them all. Just look at the avatar creation system. Its totally beyond all the other worlds where everybody just look the same.
There are so many good ideas in Second life and as virtual worlds grow my market grows. So of course i want it to be bigger.
Its time for a new vision in Second life. Maybe is time to hire Steve Jobs?
See you next year. Have a blast.
Maybe i see you i Second life.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Free tool for your 3D needs.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- The artlab early spring
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- Opensim conference:Looking good.
- Clubs in SL
- 2worlds2go in Second life starts to come together.
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- Now we make everything in Virtual worlds Oculus rift compatible.
- Visiting the Lost world on the Hypergrid
- The Mobius grid
- Star trekking on Tangle grid.
- Arduino projects
- A fast hypergrid trip to Francogrid.
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Opensim conference: Impressions
- Opensim conference:What to wear.
- Why I want to make the world a better place.
- Another cool feature in Singularity.
- Caledon to get inspiration for new work.
- Opensim conference 2013 exhibit starts to look nice.
- Opensim conference 2013. 3D sketching.
- Time for snowy woods in Lendonia.
- Super cheap 3D for Second life. Wigglegrams
- A city,a city,a city
- Time for Love
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Why I stopped using Second life.
- Back to There World. A fun,fun,,day.
- Still people that write new useful apps for Second life.
- Black forest. Issues with concentration.
- What about that a new Xbox One.
- Lendonia. Mushroom forest.
- No need for a new hype in virtual worlds.
- More immersive virtual life without the Oculus Rift
- Going by train in Caledon.
- A new server for the Developer grid and expanding virtual life.
- The future of virtual communities.
- Building a virtual world.
- Time for another virtual year 2014.
- Some days it is nice to just sit in Second life.
- Do the trucking thing.
- Exploring route 12 in my truck or when Second life works.
- Driving in Second life or scrap the physics engine.
- Exploring There world
- The Cloud party build
- Moving or leaving. That’s the question?
- My fav art place in SL closing down. Avalon town.
- Aurora sim. Big areas to fly around in.
- Second life in my phone.
- At Burn 2. Another thing about Second life I like.
- Being a hypergrid explorer.
- Transfer from Second life to Cloud party.
- i am leaving Google
- Hypergrid soon to have the best builds.
- Summer of gaming. Will virtual reality work?
- On vacation in RL.
- The new hypergrid at 2worlds2go. Some help for the grid admin.
- Getting to the bottom of Second life. This world will live on.
- High Fidelity is like the space program. Not for everybody but there could be spinoff effects.
- And so we recreate our self.
- Memory lane. Some of my builds still standing in SL.
- The Oculus, the brain and rides in Second life.
- Freedom of speech
- The new exhibition at Nilsart gallery. Tomais Ashdene.
- 2014 the year virtual reality changed forever.
- So what to learn from Opensim conference.
- First day at Opensim Conference
- New Oculus Rift project viewer for Second life. It rocks.
- Spending time in the Oculus Rift world. Many things tested.
- In to the void. Two days with the Oculus Rift.
- OSg7b, Talented builders, outdated graphics.
- Using Wordpress now and the blog lives on.
- Friday party at the OSGrid
- Ok my page is now using my SL name but the link does not.
- Without words.
- Opensim conference 2015
- The world turns even if I do not blog
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- All over Second Life. No one there.
- Whats happening.
- Checking out the Great Canadian grid.
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Finally a new home in Second life.
- Hypergrid jump to Torino Italy.
- Hypergrid jumping to Sparkle
- Got my piece ready for OSG9B
- Modern graphics ETS2
- VR is all in flux
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Avatarfest build. The Lions.
- Haul to Linkoping
- I just love the graphics in this game.
- New Update for Tower
- Burn 2016. Looks smaller somehow.
- Bought a new cool outfit to visit London
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Shopping at the hypergrid
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house